MSTRKRFT
Making Electronic Music

Welcome Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 30th, 2017, 07:48am




MSTRKRFT
General
GENERAL (Moderator: lgrweb)
  Making Electronic Music
« Previous Topic | Next Topic »
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 101 102 103  ...  165
   Author  Topic: Making Electronic Music  (Read 211968 times)
5th
Full Member


member is offline



greetings from austin jacobsen


Homepage PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 653
Re: Making Electronic Music
« Reply #1500 on: May 30th, 2009, 10:09am »

on May 30th, 2009, 06:46am, LukeSwits wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzFGvSfeHh8&feature=related

at 4:15 and on, what is bangalter doing? how does he use the distorted synth from genesis and give it that rolling and scratchin rhythm? its nuts.


im pretty sure hes just looping a prominent genesis synth part and using the volume fader on the mixer to control when its playing, creating a rythmic kinda thing. that and just regular mixing
Logged

www.facebook.com/realboymusic
www.myspace.com/realboymusic
http://realboymusic.blogspot.com
blakdipp
New Member


member is offline






Email PM


Posts: 1
Re: Making Electronic Music
« Reply #1501 on: May 30th, 2009, 10:24am »

hello all.
I read through the first 25 pages... I am just getting my feet wet in the production of electronic music. I use ableton live mostly, but I am starting to mess around with Reason's Thor synth. I also am getting into Logic Studio. I use an Akai MPD24 for beats and an Axiom 25 key to mess around on. Can someone explain to me what "instruments" like MSTRKRFT or The Bloody Beetroots uses? I know MSTRKRFT uses hardware but in terms of like synth bass, pad, lead etc... Thank you!
Logged

lukas.
Elite Member


member is offline






PM


Posts: 2123
Re: Making Electronic Music
« Reply #1502 on: May 30th, 2009, 6:44pm »

on May 30th, 2009, 10:24am, blakdipp wrote:
hello all.
I read through the first 25 pages... I am just getting my feet wet in the production of electronic music. I use ableton live mostly, but I am starting to mess around with Reason's Thor synth. I also am getting into Logic Studio. I use an Akai MPD24 for beats and an Axiom 25 key to mess around on. Can someone explain to me what "instruments" like MSTRKRFT or The Bloody Beetroots uses? I know MSTRKRFT uses hardware but in terms of like synth bass, pad, lead etc... Thank you!


reason is really all you need. just take malstrom and run it through a scream 4 distortion plugin and you'll get that dirty sound you want.
Logged

NightRumour.com
eldoogle
Full Member


member is offline



Yeap.


Homepage Email PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 625
Re: Making Electronic Music
« Reply #1503 on: May 31st, 2009, 9:18pm »

Are VST's effects in a DAW for a synth or are they an actual synth?
Logged

myspace.com/lostrhinomusic
myspace.com/p0licebrut4lity
Mauricio
Junior Member


member is offline



Found my snare


Email PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 309
Re: Making Electronic Music
« Reply #1504 on: Jun 1st, 2009, 02:48am »

on May 31st, 2009, 9:18pm, eldoogle wrote:
Are VST's effects in a DAW for a synth or are they an actual synth?


"Virtual Studio Technology (VST) is an interface for integrating software audio synthesizer and effect plugins with audio editors and hard-disk recording systems" - wikipedia
Logged

Kyran
Elite Member


member is offline



I'm actually a team of midgets who take turns post whoring in shifts.


PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 1982
Re: Making Electronic Music
« Reply #1505 on: Jun 1st, 2009, 11:19am »

VST refers to an effect where VSTi refers to the instrument form.
Logged

Batman uses samples.

on Mar 13th, 2009, 05:06am, TYLER wrote:
EDIT: I JUST REALIZED THIS ISN'T THE WHERE I GO ON MUSHROOMS THREAD.
nightwork
New Member


member is offline






PM


Posts: 5
Re: Making Electronic Music
« Reply #1506 on: Jun 1st, 2009, 4:12pm »

does anyone know anything about sound quality. ive been making electronic music since 12, and at 17 now, the only thing i have a problem with is my synths sounding like noise pollution. heres two examples made with the korg ms-20, styled a la mstrkrft so people can relate. "lalala pah" is very d.a.n.c.e. remix. they arent over compressed or over saturated, its almost the exact sound out of my synth. no matter what i do all my music sounds like a radio rip. two of them are sound samples i just exported and the other is an original track i did back in grade ten. all noise pollution
here are the tracks, streamed,

http://soundcloud.com/nightwork

anyways advice or any links would be much appreciated


Logged

Mauricio
Junior Member


member is offline



Found my snare


Email PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 309
Re: Making Electronic Music
« Reply #1507 on: Jun 2nd, 2009, 01:42am »

on Jun 1st, 2009, 4:12pm, nightwork wrote:
does anyone know anything about sound quality. ive been making electronic music since 12, and at 17 now, the only thing i have a problem with is my synths sounding like noise pollution. heres two examples made with the korg ms-20, styled a la mstrkrft so people can relate. "lalala pah" is very d.a.n.c.e. remix. they arent over compressed or over saturated, its almost the exact sound out of my synth. no matter what i do all my music sounds like a radio rip. two of them are sound samples i just exported and the other is an original track i did back in grade ten. all noise pollution
here are the tracks, streamed,

http://soundcloud.com/nightwork

anyways advice or any links would be much appreciated




you have to be a little more specific...

what synth are you using, what DAW are you using, sound card etc etc but here's my first question. do they sound crappy all the time, as in before the mix down?

it could be a so many different things that it's impossible to say, try to explain your effect chain... synth --> compression? reverb? chorus? delay? ....... distortion?

Logged

5th
Full Member


member is offline



greetings from austin jacobsen


Homepage PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 653
Re: Making Electronic Music
« Reply #1508 on: Jun 2nd, 2009, 10:34am »

i like your style dude, good job on those
Logged

www.facebook.com/realboymusic
www.myspace.com/realboymusic
http://realboymusic.blogspot.com
lukas.
Elite Member


member is offline






PM


Posts: 2123
Re: Making Electronic Music
« Reply #1509 on: Jun 2nd, 2009, 12:35pm »

yeah u definately nailed that dance remix sound, wanna share what you did?
Logged

NightRumour.com
nightwork
New Member


member is offline






PM


Posts: 5
Re: Making Electronic Music
« Reply #1510 on: Jun 2nd, 2009, 2:42pm »

im using the virtual korg ms-20, i do most of my bass with it. its a plugin so its just that and ableton that i made those samples with. all the effects im using are built in ableton except i grabbed the audio effects from garage band and i use its compressors. those samples are ms-20 -->multi band compressor...annnd thats it. nothing else
things sound mediocre while im making it but absolutely die when i export it. a lot of frequencies cancel each other out. the synths+effects sound okay so its after evertying is put together its just noise. straight up, i dont do much after ive written and arranged the track. what should i be doing?
Logged

nightwork
New Member


member is offline






PM


Posts: 5
Re: Making Electronic Music
« Reply #1511 on: Jun 2nd, 2009, 2:51pm »

on Jun 2nd, 2009, 12:35pm, LukeSwits wrote:
yeah u definately nailed that dance remix sound, wanna share what you did?


yeh, i always loved that dance sound at the end. standard arpeggio, for example low octave D, mid octave D, high octave D, mid octave D and repeat patern. i think in sixteenth notes for dance, but dun matter. to get that minor chord feel though, you just take the mid notes and move them to where makes sense or sounds good. ex. low d, mid e flat, high d, mid e flat, and repeat. just move the mid notes around to find that 'chord' feel
Logged

Biff
Junior Member


member is offline





AIM
Homepage Email PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 169
Re: Making Electronic Music
« Reply #1512 on: Jun 2nd, 2009, 4:38pm »

Hey, I use Ableton Live LE ( I want to upgrade at some point) with a few various free VST plugins and samples I've collected online. I often find when I'm making songs that I often have trouble getting songs to really flow. I know that isn't very descriptive so I'll try and go more in depth.

Like I have trouble for one, making good intro sequences to my songs, I often end up just having a 4/4 drum beat with mostly 909 samples. and then I'll bring in a bassline etc. and it just sounds sort of garagebandy to me. Does anyone know a good way to get a more full sound. I'll try and go into more detail when I can, it's hard to articulate exactly.
Logged

http://www.myspace.com/biffmusique
^just me

http://www.myspace.com/lostrhinomusic
^me + eldoogle
Mauricio
Junior Member


member is offline



Found my snare


Email PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 309
Re: Making Electronic Music
« Reply #1513 on: Jun 2nd, 2009, 11:52pm »

on Jun 2nd, 2009, 2:42pm, nightwork wrote:
im using the virtual korg ms-20, i do most of my bass with it. its a plugin so its just that and ableton that i made those samples with. all the effects im using are built in ableton except i grabbed the audio effects from garage band and i use its compressors. those samples are ms-20 -->multi band compressor...annnd thats it. nothing else
things sound mediocre while im making it but absolutely die when i export it. a lot of frequencies cancel each other out. the synths+effects sound okay so its after evertying is put together its just noise. straight up, i dont do much after ive written and arranged the track. what should i be doing?


start by reading this:

Computer Music Special 19: The Essential Guide to Mixing
http://www1.zippyshare.com/v/2219229/file.html

first try to to recreate the sound with a different synth using exact same effect chain and see if you get a better sound, use the same settings and see if you're still getting that noise... also just keep track of it step by step and make note of when the noise comes in... so pretty much start off with a blank setting with nothing on it and work up and see ok sounds good sounds good ewk ok here i'm getting some sort of interference i do not want.

it could also be the settings in your compressors etc... compression is a tricky process and it's not like just tweaking it just like moving the knobs around is the way to go... first i would say start off with a proven preset. try to use one of ableton's presets, and tweak little by little from there.

also EQing is very important, you probably know this and it's obvious
make sure when you are EQing before you mix down that you are not "overwhelming" certaint frequency ranges... that is if your synth is really really big in the mid to low range, then make sure you subtrack mid to low ranges from other instruments to give the synth enough room... same thing goes for the kick drum... your kick has a lot of low so make sure you are giving it enough room to breathe...

i guess besides that try and mix at a lower volume... that is make sure you are not getting distortion because your channels are too high... turn everything down, compress and then turn master up... try that... when it comes to turning the volume up it's not so much about turning the gain way up but more about making room for the sound to co exist... and then turning the whole thing up...
« Last Edit: Jun 3rd, 2009, 02:11am by Mauricio » Logged

Mauricio
Junior Member


member is offline



Found my snare


Email PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 309
Re: Making Electronic Music
« Reply #1514 on: Jun 3rd, 2009, 04:20am »

on Jun 2nd, 2009, 4:38pm, Biff wrote:
Hey, I use Ableton Live LE ( I want to upgrade at some point) with a few various free VST plugins and samples I've collected online. I often find when I'm making songs that I often have trouble getting songs to really flow. I know that isn't very descriptive so I'll try and go more in depth.

Like I have trouble for one, making good intro sequences to my songs, I often end up just having a 4/4 drum beat with mostly 909 samples. and then I'll bring in a bassline etc. and it just sounds sort of garagebandy to me. Does anyone know a good way to get a more full sound. I'll try and go into more detail when I can, it's hard to articulate exactly.




i say a good way to get started is find an epic epic intro... or find 5 really really good intros... study them... see what makes them so great... is it the "sound" does it sound full and unique... like deadmau5 ghost and stuff? or is it the beat... like the crookers do it? or the heavy heavy synths like mstrkrft? or the crazy sounds like boys noize?

it's really all those things... so study the songs you like most
« Last Edit: Jun 4th, 2009, 01:36am by Mauricio » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 99 100 101 102 103  ...  165
« Previous Topic | Next Topic »

Monthly Ad-Free Plan!

$6.99 Gets 50,000 Ad-Free Pageviews!

This Board Hosted For FREE By SuddenLaunch
Get Your Own Free Message Board!