MSTRKRFT
Making Electronic Music

Welcome Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 29th, 2017, 4:27pm




MSTRKRFT
General
GENERAL (Moderator: lgrweb)
  Making Electronic Music
« Previous Topic | Next Topic »
Pages: 1 ... 124 125 126 127 128  ...  165
   Author  Topic: Making Electronic Music  (Read 211889 times)
geffin
Senior Member


member is offline



officious seeing eye bitch


PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 1424
Re: Making Electronic Music
« Reply #1875 on: Nov 28th, 2009, 11:34am »

on Nov 28th, 2009, 10:44am, Sicca wrote:
I think I'm going to try Logic, seeing as I have a bit of experiance from fooling around with my friends copy. But I think I'll download a demo of Reason as well... Thanks for the help everyone!


Only problem with logic is that you can't use VSTs in it, only AUs.
Logged

theres nothing i hate more than fucking .m3u files

http://aminalsblog.blogspot.com
Todd
Full Member


member is offline





AIM
Homepage Email PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 756
Re: Making Electronic Music
« Reply #1876 on: Nov 28th, 2009, 3:23pm »

on Nov 28th, 2009, 10:58am, goldbluntz wrote:
FFBP!

Right before the kick, there is this sound that i can only describe as whats written up there. its anywhere from .5 to .05. seconds long, and its killing me trying to figure out how do it.

one example is this breakbot remix of sebastien tellier's ROCHE, found here http://hypem.com/track/961126/Sebastien+Tellier+-+Roche+Breakbot+Remix+ or here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcsPRby0aug

and its probably a noob kick-mixing question, i know!! but i just cant figure it out.. I hear it on most electro tracks really, so i'm hoping someone here can point me in the right direction

any help!!!!!

using live 8


Awesome sound huh? Just reverse a sample before the kick. Like reverse a snare and make it go wooooshKICK. Or try claps, other kicks, shakers, open hi hats, crashes, anything! The ones that tend to work best are the ones with a big attack and long decay, so you get that sideways tornado look in the waveform.

on Nov 28th, 2009, 11:34am, gavinmac wrote:
Only problem with logic is that you can't use VSTs in it, only AUs.


but most vsts come in au format and fxpansion makes a killer vst to au wrapper so it's not toooo bad... i don't use logic though so i don't really have to deal with that i guess
Logged

all i wanted was a pepsi, just one pepsi
Mauricio
Junior Member


member is offline



Found my snare


Email PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 309
Re: Making Electronic Music
« Reply #1877 on: Nov 28th, 2009, 6:40pm »

on Nov 28th, 2009, 3:23pm, Todd wrote:
Awesome sound huh? Just reverse a sample before the kick. Like reverse a snare and make it go wooooshKICK. Or try claps, other kicks, shakers, open hi hats, crashes, anything! The ones that tend to work best are the ones with a big attack and long decay, so you get that sideways tornado look in the waveform.



but most vsts come in au format and fxpansion makes a killer vst to au wrapper so it's not toooo bad... i don't use logic though so i don't really have to deal with that i guess


It works particularly well if you add a nice long reverb tail. So take whatever sound... add a nice reverb... record it... then reverse...
Logged

goldbluntz
New Member


member is offline






Homepage Email PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 7
Re: Making Electronic Music
« Reply #1878 on: Nov 29th, 2009, 09:54am »

motherfucking todd!!! mutherfucking mauricio!!

I got it!

i had even tried this morning before posting and it wasnt giving me the punch i wanted, but i tried it again, this time with a reverse open hat transposed up to the max, and

FFBP!!

thanks yalls!!
Logged

Todd
Full Member


member is offline





AIM
Homepage Email PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 756
Re: Making Electronic Music
« Reply #1879 on: Nov 29th, 2009, 3:31pm »

meeze and i pretty much tag team this bitch

anyone have any good parametric eq suggestions? im in the market for the perfect parametric eq because so far i've never found one that suits my needs perfectly and it pisses me off. needs to have:

- 8 bands
- for the lp/hp pass filters it needs to be switchable. 6/12/24 at least but i'd love a 48 in there too. only ones ive found with a 48 pass are logics built eq and eq3 from live and i'd rather not use either
- prefer it if it had switchable parametric types on every band. so you could make any band you wanted a bell/pass/shelf.

closest i've ever come is psp neon which is a great eq but since it's a linear phase it's a craaaazy memory hog and has crazy delay with it too. plus it doesn't have a 48db filter, only a 24. would prefer a non-linear phase eq for those reasons.

sonalksis eq actually comes pretty close but it sounds cheesy to me. don't know why, just compared it next to pro tools eq7 for a while and it just didn't come out as clear as eq7 in any instance i tried.

waves eq's are fucking AWESOME (just the regular q10 and renaissance) but q10 only has a 12 db pass filter (fixed at 12db, just like live's eq.. i hate that), and renaissance eq for some reason is really glitchy with my comp. and also only has a max of 6 bands.. sometimes i just need more.
« Last Edit: Nov 29th, 2009, 3:33pm by Todd » Logged

all i wanted was a pepsi, just one pepsi
Mauricio
Junior Member


member is offline



Found my snare


Email PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 309
Re: Making Electronic Music
« Reply #1880 on: Nov 29th, 2009, 5:30pm »

on Nov 29th, 2009, 3:31pm, Todd wrote:
meeze and i pretty much tag team this bitch

anyone have any good parametric eq suggestions? im in the market for the perfect parametric eq because so far i've never found one that suits my needs perfectly and it pisses me off. needs to have:

- 8 bands
- for the lp/hp pass filters it needs to be switchable. 6/12/24 at least but i'd love a 48 in there too. only ones ive found with a 48 pass are logics built eq and eq3 from live and i'd rather not use either
- prefer it if it had switchable parametric types on every band. so you could make any band you wanted a bell/pass/shelf.

closest i've ever come is psp neon which is a great eq but since it's a linear phase it's a craaaazy memory hog and has crazy delay with it too. plus it doesn't have a 48db filter, only a 24. would prefer a non-linear phase eq for those reasons.

sonalksis eq actually comes pretty close but it sounds cheesy to me. don't know why, just compared it next to pro tools eq7 for a while and it just didn't come out as clear as eq7 in any instance i tried.

waves eq's are fucking AWESOME (just the regular q10 and renaissance) but q10 only has a 12 db pass filter (fixed at 12db, just like live's eq.. i hate that), and renaissance eq for some reason is really glitchy with my comp. and also only has a max of 6 bands.. sometimes i just need more.


This would be a great Plugin... If it's out there you'll find it by using this:

http://www.kvraudio.com/get.php

Logged

Todd
Full Member


member is offline





AIM
Homepage Email PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 756
Re: Making Electronic Music
« Reply #1881 on: Nov 29th, 2009, 7:29pm »

on Nov 29th, 2009, 5:30pm, Mauricio wrote:
This would be a great Plugin... If it's out there you'll find it by using this:

http://www.kvraudio.com/get.php



i was gonna be like silly dude, of course i know about kvr.. but you win. the answer is apparently 112db's redline eq. i'll try it out and report back. just read about it in cm too and apparently its nuts and won alot of awards.
Logged

all i wanted was a pepsi, just one pepsi
Biff
Junior Member


member is offline





AIM
Homepage Email PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 169
Re: Making Electronic Music
« Reply #1882 on: Dec 1st, 2009, 12:45pm »

on Nov 28th, 2009, 10:44am, Sicca wrote:
I think I'm going to try Logic, seeing as I have a bit of experiance from fooling around with my friends copy. But I think I'll download a demo of Reason as well... Thanks for the help everyone!


Try a bunch of them and go with whichever one you find the most intuitive and can do what you need it to do.
Logged

http://www.myspace.com/biffmusique
^just me

http://www.myspace.com/lostrhinomusic
^me + eldoogle
Taylor
Elite Member


member is offline



i always wondered what this text box was for...


PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 3203
Re: Making Electronic Music
« Reply #1883 on: Dec 1st, 2009, 5:04pm »

on Nov 29th, 2009, 3:31pm, Todd wrote:
meeze and i pretty much tag team this bitch

anyone have any good parametric eq suggestions? im in the market for the perfect parametric eq because so far i've never found one that suits my needs perfectly and it pisses me off. needs to have:

- 8 bands
- for the lp/hp pass filters it needs to be switchable. 6/12/24 at least but i'd love a 48 in there too. only ones ive found with a 48 pass are logics built eq and eq3 from live and i'd rather not use either
- prefer it if it had switchable parametric types on every band. so you could make any band you wanted a bell/pass/shelf.

closest i've ever come is psp neon which is a great eq but since it's a linear phase it's a craaaazy memory hog and has crazy delay with it too. plus it doesn't have a 48db filter, only a 24. would prefer a non-linear phase eq for those reasons.

sonalksis eq actually comes pretty close but it sounds cheesy to me. don't know why, just compared it next to pro tools eq7 for a while and it just didn't come out as clear as eq7 in any instance i tried.

waves eq's are fucking AWESOME (just the regular q10 and renaissance) but q10 only has a 12 db pass filter (fixed at 12db, just like live's eq.. i hate that), and renaissance eq for some reason is really glitchy with my comp. and also only has a max of 6 bands.. sometimes i just need more.


fabfilter came out with a new EQ, i highly reccomend the flux eq if you want a super clean eq

http://www.fluxhome.com/products/Plug_ins/epure2

http://www.fabfilter.com/products/pro-q.php
Logged

slyman
Senior Member


member is offline






Email PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 1322
Re: Making Electronic Music
« Reply #1884 on: Dec 1st, 2009, 8:59pm »

on Dec 1st, 2009, 5:04pm, Taylor wrote:
fabfilter came out with a new EQ, i highly reccomend the flux eq if you want a super clean eq

http://www.fluxhome.com/products/Plug_ins/epure2

http://www.fabfilter.com/products/pro-q.php

i was tryin to think of that the other day wen he asked i knew it was made by the same ppl that make volcano i just couldnt remember the name
Logged

...the gap between, say, Plato or Nietzsche and the average human is greater than the gap between that chimpanzee and the average human. - Louis Mackey - Waking life
Todd
Full Member


member is offline





AIM
Homepage Email PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 756
Re: Making Electronic Music
« Reply #1885 on: Dec 1st, 2009, 9:22pm »

on Dec 1st, 2009, 8:59pm, slyman wrote:
i was tryin to think of that the other day wen he asked i knew it was made by the same ppl that make volcano i just couldnt remember the name


Trying out four of them tonight. Redline, Flux Epure II, FabFilter Pro-Q and Voxengo GlissEQ.

So far Flux is just whatever, uninstalling the demo cus it's nothing special. FabFilter is badass, it's got my special 48db filter I wanted AND you can change it from normal to linear phase.

Redline is unbelievable.. so good. But it's such a cpu hog that it's not even worth it for everyday stuff, just like on leads or basses. Really important stuff. GlissEQ is gonna take a while to get used to cus it's special but it looks promising if it really does what it says it does.

so far i'd say glisseq and fabfilter pro-q seem the best.

i'm such a nerd. i don't date girls, i date eqs.
Logged

all i wanted was a pepsi, just one pepsi
Mauricio
Junior Member


member is offline



Found my snare


Email PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 309
Re: Making Electronic Music
« Reply #1886 on: Dec 2nd, 2009, 02:27am »

on Dec 1st, 2009, 9:22pm, Todd wrote:
Trying out four of them tonight. Redline, Flux Epure II, FabFilter Pro-Q and Voxengo GlissEQ.

So far Flux is just whatever, uninstalling the demo cus it's nothing special. FabFilter is badass, it's got my special 48db filter I wanted AND you can change it from normal to linear phase.

Redline is unbelievable.. so good. But it's such a cpu hog that it's not even worth it for everyday stuff, just like on leads or basses. Really important stuff. GlissEQ is gonna take a while to get used to cus it's special but it looks promising if it really does what it says it does.

so far i'd say glisseq and fabfilter pro-q seem the best.

i'm such a nerd. i don't date girls, i date eqs.


I have the FabFilter Bundle and I love em. I love the design of the plugins. They really helped me to understand what I was doing at first. Kinda like the Ableton plugins visually but way better. It's actually not a bad idea for people that are just getting into producing to take a look at them... They helped me a lot at first to see what I was doing and then I was able to move with that knowledge to other plugins that aren't as well designed.
I
Logged

Taylor
Elite Member


member is offline



i always wondered what this text box was for...


PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 3203
Re: Making Electronic Music
« Reply #1887 on: Dec 2nd, 2009, 1:45pm »

the fabfilter guys are great interface designers

i still dont understand why you dont like the sonalksis EQ.

what you should do is record a bassline and apply the same curve across all EQs and do a blind test for sound.
Logged

Djtony
Senior Member


member is offline





AIM
Email PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 1053
Re: Making Electronic Music
« Reply #1888 on: Dec 2nd, 2009, 8:33pm »

Drops are easy to make, but i can't make a build up for the life of me :/

any help?

and i would really like to know how to make white noise do what i want, and also how do i make things like idk what the effect is called but the best way i could describe it is like in a build up there's vocals that start of "buried" and then gradually come out. Know what i'm saying?

It's a super common thing in house music. I think it has something to do with a low pass filter. It's controlling the damn thing that's the problem.


EDIT: there's the drop in question. If you made this drop, how would you go about making a build to it?
http://www19.zippyshare.com/v/68599608/file.html
« Last Edit: Dec 2nd, 2009, 8:48pm by Djtony » Logged

on Mar 1st, 2010, 2:52pm, Kyran wrote:
... yuh know the usual, hold him down, grease it up, stuff it in... maybe some ear whispers or shoulder nibbling
ttime
Elite Member


member is offline



Achieving life is not the equivalent of avoiding death.

AIM
Email PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 1696
Re: Making Electronic Music
« Reply #1889 on: Dec 2nd, 2009, 8:46pm »

on Dec 2nd, 2009, 8:33pm, Djtony wrote:
It's a super common thing in house music. I think it has something to do with a low pass filter. It's controlling the damn thing that's the problem.


i might be wrong, but i think it's done with a low pass filter as you said and drawing a parameter for the cutoff frequency and gradually increasing it.
Logged

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.
- Friedrich Nietzsche
Pages: 1 ... 124 125 126 127 128  ...  165
« Previous Topic | Next Topic »

Monthly Ad-Free Plan!

$6.99 Gets 50,000 Ad-Free Pageviews!

This Board Hosted For FREE By SuddenLaunch
Get Your Own Free Message Board!