MSTRKRFT
Making Electronic Music

Welcome Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 27th, 2017, 7:24pm




MSTRKRFT
General
GENERAL (Moderator: lgrweb)
  Making Electronic Music
« Previous Topic | Next Topic »
Pages: 1 ... 136 137 138 139 140  ...  165
   Author  Topic: Making Electronic Music  (Read 211740 times)
Djtony
Senior Member


member is offline





AIM
Email PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 1053
Re: Making Electronic Music
« Reply #2055 on: Feb 4th, 2010, 11:58am »

on Feb 4th, 2010, 11:09am, boomboomboom wrote:
What are you using to record it? (Mixer, audio interface, programs, etc)


well i'm using serato sl3's record function.

And i'm using the master out on the back of my mixer.
American Dx5r. It's a piece of shit mixer. But i have recorded a mixtape with it before. And it sounded perfect. I just want to know why it's making it all muddy.
Logged

on Mar 1st, 2010, 2:52pm, Kyran wrote:
... yuh know the usual, hold him down, grease it up, stuff it in... maybe some ear whispers or shoulder nibbling
Generalife
Junior Member


member is offline






Email PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 316
Re: Making Electronic Music
« Reply #2056 on: Feb 4th, 2010, 4:16pm »

Hey, I tried reading through / searching this thread for this, and may have missed it but hopefully not, but i'm working on ableton live 8 suite, and at random times throughout the song i'm working on the song suddenly sounds like it's gone underwater.... which comes through when I export it and is INCREDIBLY frustrating. can anyone help diagnose why / how to fix this problem?
Logged

Mauricio
Junior Member


member is offline



Found my snare


Email PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 309
Re: Making Electronic Music
« Reply #2057 on: Feb 4th, 2010, 6:55pm »

on Feb 4th, 2010, 4:16pm, PwinstonPchurchill wrote:
Hey, I tried reading through / searching this thread for this, and may have missed it but hopefully not, but i'm working on ableton live 8 suite, and at random times throughout the song i'm working on the song suddenly sounds like it's gone underwater.... which comes through when I export it and is INCREDIBLY frustrating. can anyone help diagnose why / how to fix this problem?


so does this happen if you start a new live set? could it be that you've automated an effect and it's turning on and off? you gotta be more specific...

so you load a track into the session view, with nothing on the busses no effects etc etct and it does this? does it do it to all songs, same time... details details.
Logged

Generalife
Junior Member


member is offline






Email PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 316
Re: Making Electronic Music
« Reply #2058 on: Feb 4th, 2010, 7:47pm »

on Feb 4th, 2010, 6:55pm, Mauricio wrote:
so does this happen if you start a new live set? could it be that you've automated an effect and it's turning on and off? you gotta be more specific...

so you load a track into the session view, with nothing on the busses no effects etc etct and it does this? does it do it to all songs, same time... details details.


Sorry for being unspecific, here's the details: I made a song, your run of the mill electro house whatever. so you know, there's like 12 midi channels, all with various effects, compressors, eq's, whatever is needed for each instrument. so that's the set-up, and then sometimes when i'm either playing an individual scene (that's the one with all of the channels playing together at once, yes?) or when i'm just playing the song in arrangement view, the entire song will randomly sound like it's muted, or under water. and then sometime it intensifies and gets even quieter, and then it will pop back up to playing normally. not synced with any beat or change in scenes, it seems entirely random.
Logged

Mauricio
Junior Member


member is offline



Found my snare


Email PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 309
Re: Making Electronic Music
« Reply #2059 on: Feb 4th, 2010, 9:10pm »

on Feb 4th, 2010, 7:47pm, PwinstonPchurchill wrote:
Sorry for being unspecific, here's the details: I made a song, your run of the mill electro house whatever. so you know, there's like 12 midi channels, all with various effects, compressors, eq's, whatever is needed for each instrument. so that's the set-up, and then sometimes when i'm either playing an individual scene (that's the one with all of the channels playing together at once, yes?) or when i'm just playing the song in arrangement view, the entire song will randomly sound like it's muted, or under water. and then sometime it intensifies and gets even quieter, and then it will pop back up to playing normally. not synced with any beat or change in scenes, it seems entirely random.


Turn off every effect and see if it does it. If it doesn't then it's prob. an fx cycle. the entire track sounds like this? then it has to be on the master. what's on the master...? You have to just go through step by step and figure out Hardware vs Software, what channel... etc. There's too many things it could be. If you're using all ableton plugins save as a live set and post it. I'll take a look.
Logged

Mauricio
Junior Member


member is offline



Found my snare


Email PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 309
Re: Making Electronic Music
« Reply #2060 on: Feb 6th, 2010, 01:35am »

Akai MPD Pad Sensitivity Enhancement Kit MPD32, 24, 18

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=120501211091&Category=29552&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26its%3DI%26otn%3D2

Just bought an MPD and the pads suck balls. Kinda worthless really if you are using them for beats and the sensitivity doesn't register. I just go this. I was gonna do the tape mod but this seemed better. Only 10 bucks too. And I've read a lot of reviews that say it works well. We'll see.
Logged

deetak
New Member


member is offline






Homepage Email PM


Posts: 29
Re: Making Electronic Music
« Reply #2061 on: Feb 6th, 2010, 4:15pm »

Interview with RedOne (lady Gaga producer) (parts 5 onward to do with more production side):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeqfjOwck-0

Notable that he says he only uses his MacBook w/ Logic and one midi keyboard. There was some other external thing, but I didn't understand what it was. But no external synths.


« Last Edit: Feb 6th, 2010, 7:59pm by deetak » Logged

www.soundcloud.com/deetak
Taylor
Elite Member


member is offline



i always wondered what this text box was for...


PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 3203
Re: Making Electronic Music
« Reply #2062 on: Feb 6th, 2010, 9:07pm »

the other stuff was an audio interface and presonus monitor selector
Logged

Mauricio
Junior Member


member is offline



Found my snare


Email PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 309
Re: Making Electronic Music
« Reply #2063 on: Feb 7th, 2010, 4:12pm »

on Feb 6th, 2010, 4:15pm, deetak wrote:
Interview with RedOne (lady Gaga producer) (parts 5 onward to do with more production side):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeqfjOwck-0

Notable that he says he only uses his MacBook w/ Logic and one midi keyboard. There was some other external thing, but I didn't understand what it was. But no external synths.




Seriously that's all you need. A computer, a mouse and determination.
Logged

arknsauce
Junior Member


member is offline






Email PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 214
Re: Making Electronic Music
« Reply #2064 on: Feb 12th, 2010, 09:07am »

Im going to start expirmenting with laptop djing in the next several months and I wanted to know if anyone had any expirence with the UC- 33 Evolution Mixer? I heard it was good except that the buttons on the side were alittle wonky, so I wanted to know if this was so and if I was better off getting a seperate smaller controller to play, loop, que and such to go along side the Evolution? Thank you ahead of time haha.
Logged

Mauricio
Junior Member


member is offline



Found my snare


Email PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 309
Re: Making Electronic Music
« Reply #2065 on: Feb 12th, 2010, 11:36am »

Todd you win:

"RT @wolfganggartner: @OlavBasoski Indeed on the Ableton compressors. Use those things on everything."
Logged

Todd
Full Member


member is offline





AIM
Homepage Email PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 756
Re: Making Electronic Music
« Reply #2066 on: Feb 12th, 2010, 12:10pm »

on Feb 12th, 2010, 11:36am, Mauricio wrote:
Todd you win:

"RT @wolfganggartner: @OlavBasoski Indeed on the Ableton compressors. Use those things on everything."


hahah no comment go listen to the 5th and tell me that isn't the stock ping pong delay in the intro. and latin fever is the same with redux in the fills. you'll never unhear it!

a while ago i put identical settings on waves rcomp vs. the ableton compressor and i shit you not they sound the same if you take off lookahead. the only ableton plugin i'm not a fan of is their reverb but ONLY because it isn't true stereo, so stupid. there are some tricks to make it true stereo but why bother when you could just use a plugin that already is? im all about saving time.
Logged

all i wanted was a pepsi, just one pepsi
Mauricio
Junior Member


member is offline



Found my snare


Email PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 309
Re: Making Electronic Music
« Reply #2067 on: Feb 12th, 2010, 12:15pm »

on Feb 12th, 2010, 12:10pm, Todd wrote:
hahah no comment go listen to the 5th and tell me that isn't the stock ping pong delay in the intro. and latin fever is the same with redux in the fills. you'll never unhear it!

a while ago i put identical settings on waves rcomp vs. the ableton compressor and i shit you not they sound the same if you take off lookahead. the only ableton plugin i'm not a fan of is their reverb but ONLY because it isn't true stereo, so stupid. there are some tricks to make it true stereo but why bother when you could just use a plugin that already is? im all about saving time.


Yeah compressor is my 2nd girlfriend. I've tried over 20 other compressors... seeing what they had to offer... and I still think Ableton's compressor is the best because of it's simplicity, low cpu use and utility.

& Ping Pong delay! oh man unsync that bitch, turn up the time... throw crazy sounds on a buss, add some reverb and a nice sidechain and watch your tracks come to life... so rad.
Logged

Todd
Full Member


member is offline





AIM
Homepage Email PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 756
Re: Making Electronic Music
« Reply #2068 on: Feb 12th, 2010, 12:20pm »

heres a crazy ableton trick.. only works if you have a multicore computer but if you do, right click and disable all sends on every track but the ones you're using. saves me about 25% cpu power.
Logged

all i wanted was a pepsi, just one pepsi
Mauricio
Junior Member


member is offline



Found my snare


Email PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 309
Re: Making Electronic Music
« Reply #2069 on: Feb 12th, 2010, 12:41pm »

Cool I'll give that a shot. I was super lucky that my MAC broke this year for the 4th time for the same problem right before the warranty was up. So they replaced it. But because I had bought the highest level model or whatever a year ago, they had to replace it with the equivalent model this year which is like 3.0 ghz and 8 gigs of ram... runs like a champ.

Has any used FarmPad to map out padKontrol to Ableton?! I don't get it... It seems padKontrol is mapped wrong to drum racks... like an octave higher...
Logged

Pages: 1 ... 136 137 138 139 140  ...  165
« Previous Topic | Next Topic »

Monthly Ad-Free Plan!

$6.99 Gets 50,000 Ad-Free Pageviews!

This Board Hosted For FREE By SuddenLaunch
Get Your Own Free Message Board!