MSTRKRFT
Making Electronic Music

Welcome Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 27th, 2017, 7:25pm




MSTRKRFT
General
GENERAL (Moderator: lgrweb)
  Making Electronic Music
« Previous Topic | Next Topic »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18  ...  165
   Author  Topic: Making Electronic Music  (Read 211743 times)
Smiley Perv
Global Moderator


member is offline



Ban Count: 21

AIM
Homepage PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 1586
Re: Making Electronic Music
« Reply #225 on: Mar 25th, 2008, 5:23pm »

on Mar 24th, 2008, 10:41pm, slinky wrote:
I guess that you're trying to upload to that site. I don't know if it will work but maybe just upload them to sendspace and send the link to Taylor and maybe he can upload them easier (better connection maybe).

Worth a shot I guess.


Hey, do you think would be best just to compress each track as a MP3 instead? If it's worth spending production time on it and if we have potential gold, do you guys think I can send the .WAV's later and replace them with the MP3's in the DAW? Is that an ideal suggestion, mofos? It woul cut down the MB's like by 60MB. Perhaps.

HOLY SHIT, my nose just started bleeding ...
Logged

MTHRFCKN Moderator "There are no rules to art" - Angie
gerbenlouw
New Member


member is offline



stereobrowdjs


Homepage PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 42
Re: Making Electronic Music
« Reply #226 on: Mar 25th, 2008, 6:05pm »

so i guess this is the right place to post my stuff because of all the knowledge of the members overhere..

a friend and i want to start DJing. just mixing tracks, not producing or remixing anything (yet). we decide to use a laptop + software running + something to control the program (midi controller or something?).

so ive got a few questions, hopefully anyone can help me. what software and hardware do you guys recommend? im already trying to learn ableton and traktor (anybody knows good tutorial websites?). as in hardware, i have no idea what to buy. dont want to spend to much on it to begin with, just some 200-300 euros/dollars. i found out surkin uses a m audio uc33 and it seems very usefull and good.

also, im interested in what mstrkrft uses to perform. laptop + ableton, but what kind of hardware?

thanks in advance for all the help haha.
Logged

myspace.com/stereobrowdjs
slinky
Global Moderator


member is offline



...but I ain't jamaican man


PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 3623
Re: Making Electronic Music
« Reply #227 on: Mar 25th, 2008, 6:22pm »

on Mar 25th, 2008, 5:23pm, R2RO wrote:
Hey, do you think would be best just to compress each track as a MP3 instead? If it's worth spending production time on it and if we have potential gold, do you guys think I can send the .WAV's later and replace them with the MP3's in the DAW? Is that an ideal suggestion, mofos? It woul cut down the MB's like by 60MB. Perhaps.

HOLY SHIT, my nose just started bleeding ...


I don't really know what he'd be doing with the files, but obviously when you compress them you'll lose data and if they keep going back and forth like that it'll just keep sounding worse and worse. I wouldn't compress anything until the very end if you can help it.
Logged

Taylor
Elite Member


member is offline



i always wondered what this text box was for...


PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 3203
Re: Making Electronic Music
« Reply #228 on: Mar 25th, 2008, 6:51pm »

on Mar 25th, 2008, 6:05pm, gerbenlouw wrote:
so i guess this is the right place to post my stuff because of all the knowledge of the members overhere..

a friend and i want to start DJing. just mixing tracks, not producing or remixing anything (yet). we decide to use a laptop + software running + something to control the program (midi controller or something?).

so ive got a few questions, hopefully anyone can help me. what software and hardware do you guys recommend? im already trying to learn ableton and traktor (anybody knows good tutorial websites?). as in hardware, i have no idea what to buy. dont want to spend to much on it to begin with, just some 200-300 euros/dollars. i found out surkin uses a m audio uc33 and it seems very usefull and good.

also, im interested in what mstrkrft uses to perform. laptop + ableton, but what kind of hardware?

thanks in advance for all the help haha.


first page bro, and mstrkrft uses scratch live+DJM+CDJs, and for what you want to do, the uc33 is probably a good bet

anyway, im a total email retard, how big of a file can you send via email?
Logged

slinky
Global Moderator


member is offline



...but I ain't jamaican man


PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 3623
Re: Making Electronic Music
« Reply #229 on: Mar 25th, 2008, 7:04pm »

on Mar 25th, 2008, 6:51pm, Taylor wrote:
first page bro, and mstrkrft uses scratch live+DJM+CDJs, and for what you want to do, the uc33 is probably a good bet

anyway, im a total email retard, how big of a file can you send via email?


Usually around 10megs. But just use wwwsendspace.com upload it there and send the link in an email. It's the smartest way to do it and so much faster than the email upload.
« Last Edit: Mar 25th, 2008, 7:05pm by slinky » Logged

Smiley Perv
Global Moderator


member is offline



Ban Count: 21

AIM
Homepage PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 1586
Re: Making Electronic Music
« Reply #230 on: Mar 25th, 2008, 7:14pm »

on Mar 25th, 2008, 7:04pm, slinky wrote:
Usually around 10megs. But just use wwwsendspace.com upload it there and send the link in an email. It's the smartest way to do it and so much faster than the email upload.


Aw, fuck it! I will send 'em via sendspace one by one, if I have to. In WAV. So stand by... I'll keep you posted.

BTW, gerbenlouw, if you really really wanna spin live, this is just me, but I'd go with the best gear money can buy. Right off the bat. I've always been the kind of guy that does that so I'm savng up for those 2CDJ's and DJM but I won't see them 'till late June/early July. Again, it may just be me and I'm not implying that I'm a baller or anything, I just know how to save money. One way is by not paying for internet and stealing wi-fi from your neighbors which is why I have a slow ass connection... and it's hard uploading those fucken WAV files... Damnit...

Logged

MTHRFCKN Moderator "There are no rules to art" - Angie
slinky
Global Moderator


member is offline



...but I ain't jamaican man


PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 3623
Re: Making Electronic Music
« Reply #231 on: Mar 25th, 2008, 7:46pm »

on Mar 25th, 2008, 7:14pm, R2RO wrote:
Aw, fuck it! I will send 'em via sendspace one by one, if I have to. In WAV. So stand by... I'll keep you posted.

BTW, gerbenlouw, if you really really wanna spin live, this is just me, but I'd go with the best gear money can buy. Right off the bat. I've always been the kind of guy that does that so I'm savng up for those 2CDJ's and DJM but I won't see them 'till late June/early July. Again, it may just be me and I'm not implying that I'm a baller or anything, I just know how to save money. One way is by not paying for internet and stealing wi-fi from your neighbors which is why I have a slow ass connection... and it's hard uploading those fucken WAV files... Damnit...



Or you could always burn the files on cds and mail them if it's not too urgent...

Ha. Snail mail.
Logged

Smiley Perv
Global Moderator


member is offline



Ban Count: 21

AIM
Homepage PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 1586
Re: Making Electronic Music
« Reply #232 on: Mar 25th, 2008, 7:57pm »

on Mar 25th, 2008, 7:46pm, slinky wrote:
Or you could always burn the files on cds and mail them if it's not too urgent...

Ha. Snail mail.


What blows ass is that I live like 20 min from this fool. But I don't wanna show up at his place and have Chris Hansen asking me to take a seat and asking me what am I doing there. Or what was I thinking. He'll never buy this music production cover up.

Besides, the last file is uploadin right now anyway. I started at 7pm and now it's like 9:30pm.
Logged

MTHRFCKN Moderator "There are no rules to art" - Angie
contusion
New Member


member is offline



if this don't make your booty move

AIM
Homepage PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 33
Re: Making Electronic Music
« Reply #233 on: Mar 25th, 2008, 10:36pm »

on Mar 19th, 2008, 6:43pm, SGuitar wrote:
Ill try to help out with bass lines. ....



you are awesome thanks for this!
Logged


your booty must be dead.
gerbenlouw
New Member


member is offline



stereobrowdjs


Homepage PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 42
Re: Making Electronic Music
« Reply #234 on: Mar 26th, 2008, 07:00am »

on Mar 25th, 2008, 7:14pm, R2RO wrote:
Aw, fuck it! I will send 'em via sendspace one by one, if I have to. In WAV. So stand by... I'll keep you posted.

BTW, gerbenlouw, if you really really wanna spin live, this is just me, but I'd go with the best gear money can buy. Right off the bat. I've always been the kind of guy that does that so I'm savng up for those 2CDJ's and DJM but I won't see them 'till late June/early July. Again, it may just be me and I'm not implying that I'm a baller or anything, I just know how to save money. One way is by not paying for internet and stealing wi-fi from your neighbors which is why I have a slow ass connection... and it's hard uploading those fucken WAV files... Damnit...


well, i would buy the best gear if i had the money. and yes i save money but i buy lots of other stuff too and it would take a year or something for me to be able to buy 'the best gear'. my friend and i just want to start playing as soon as possible. we're inexperienced with DJing and using all kinds of software and hardware so i don't want to waste alot of money. we want to play with a laptop because we prefer using digital files and at this point i dont think we need something really expensive. i think a midi controller like the uc33 will be okay to start with and get some experience with everything. thanks for the advice though

and also thank you Taylor. i will read the whole topic for more information on software etc.
Logged

myspace.com/stereobrowdjs
Taylor
Elite Member


member is offline



i always wondered what this text box was for...


PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 3203
Re: Making Electronic Music
« Reply #235 on: Mar 26th, 2008, 2:50pm »

if you wanna use hardware and youre just straight playing the tracks out, you could use a cdj100, it really wouldnt matter, i hear the laser isnt as good though it cant read scratched discs as well as a more expensive rig and its probably a little more skip prone, but hell, you could buy two of those and a mixer for less than a CDJ1000 if you know your stuff

yeah, i did a quick check, 2 cdj200s and a djm400 would run you about 1300 bucks, which is how much the 1000s sell for
Logged

gerbenlouw
New Member


member is offline



stereobrowdjs


Homepage PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 42
Re: Making Electronic Music
« Reply #236 on: Mar 26th, 2008, 3:44pm »

yes im going to find out more about the cdj100's. im really a noob so i dont know much about how it works but.. you cannot use the cdj's+ mixer + laptop and software right?

if you can use them. what's the difference between playing with laptop + cdj's and laptop + a controller like uc33? again, i don't know much about dj'ing yet and i want to learn much about it! thanks.
Logged

myspace.com/stereobrowdjs
Taylor
Elite Member


member is offline



i always wondered what this text box was for...


PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 3203
Re: Making Electronic Music
« Reply #237 on: Mar 26th, 2008, 5:27pm »

the difference is that the trainspotters will accept you better if you just show up with CDJs and a mixer =P

if youre using a laptop and CDJs, youre pretty dumb, because odds are youre using the laptop as the source of your songs and just using the CDJs with control discs...which basically turns them into big jog wheels

now if youre using a controller, you dont need a control wheel for jog matching because youre probably using different software

heres 3 basic setups that can be varied to suit your needs

CDJ+Mixer
Turntables+Mixer+Scratchlive
Controller+Ableton/Traktor

Logged

gerbenlouw
New Member


member is offline



stereobrowdjs


Homepage PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 42
Re: Making Electronic Music
« Reply #238 on: Mar 26th, 2008, 5:46pm »

haha yes using a laptop with a controller is much easier playing dj than with cdj's and a mixer. for now im going for option number one just because its much cheaper and, probably for me, easier to use.

but i'll definitely go for cdj's in the future haha.
« Last Edit: Mar 26th, 2008, 5:46pm by gerbenlouw » Logged

myspace.com/stereobrowdjs
Enom13
New Member


member is offline






PM


Posts: 3
Re: Making Electronic Music
« Reply #239 on: Mar 26th, 2008, 10:39pm »

Hey all, I wanted to start making my own beats with a friend, right now I just dj at parties for fun so I have a macbook , cdj1000's and a djm800, but im planning to get a midi controller, monitor and a midi interface, what prog should we start out with do make the beats? I was thinking ableton, reason or protools?
Also do we need anything else? and im using traktor scratch, anything better than that I should use too?

thanks guys
Logged

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18  ...  165
« Previous Topic | Next Topic »

Monthly Ad-Free Plan!

$6.99 Gets 50,000 Ad-Free Pageviews!

This Board Hosted For FREE By SuddenLaunch
Get Your Own Free Message Board!