MSTRKRFT
Making Electronic Music

Welcome Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 25th, 2017, 11:16pm




MSTRKRFT
General
GENERAL (Moderator: lgrweb)
  Making Electronic Music
« Previous Topic | Next Topic »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7  ...  165
   Author  Topic: Making Electronic Music  (Read 211660 times)
Kingnangelo
Junior Member


member is offline



After Me Comes the Flood


Email PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 89
Re: Making Electronic Music
« Reply #60 on: Jan 14th, 2008, 9:59pm »

on Jan 13th, 2008, 8:46pm, Taylor wrote:
no lie, as far as DAWs go theyre all the same since most of us just use the sequencer part and get our sounds from elsewhere

for pc and mac im a strong advocate of ableton

if you want something nice get logic, if you somehow find a bag of money on the streets, pro tools is nice


Ableton and reason, reason is the shit especially if you have a keyboard and a cable that does midi to usb, thats what i use as well as my sythn is a microKorg so i can use it for hard or soft synth.
Logged

www.myspace.com/sleepyheadbeats
dmargaret
Junior Member


member is offline



myspace/davids0401


Homepage PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 287
Re: Making Electronic Music
« Reply #61 on: Jan 15th, 2008, 6:43pm »

Serato Scratch Live or M-Audio Torq? A DJ acquaintance of mine swears by the M-Audio...without knowing anything about either I'm thinking Serato is better. Opinions?
Logged

Kingnangelo
Junior Member


member is offline



After Me Comes the Flood


Email PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 89
Re: Making Electronic Music
« Reply #62 on: Jan 15th, 2008, 10:08pm »

serato, i personally havent used M audio either so i guess my opinion is less opinionated but ive used serato enough and its got a lot of cool stuff it can basically make your vinyl more like cds with the ins and outs for sampling/looping

theres a lot of different things you can do but its basically plug and play very easy to use even for the most acid headed trance face dj

M audio i heard from my friend who opend for mstrkrft was saying its sweet but theres way to much shit to distract you with, and its quite complex to operate in comparison and not in a "im the most technical dj ever" sorta way
Logged

www.myspace.com/sleepyheadbeats
cydux
Junior Member


member is offline






Homepage Email PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 119
Re: Making Electronic Music
« Reply #63 on: Jan 18th, 2008, 3:34pm »

This is how it's gone for me: learned composition/mixing in Garageband for about three years (and I still use it all the time), stepped it up with Reason - learned to make my own synth and drum loops with Maelstrom, Subtractor, and redrum, learned how to cut samples and the importance of equalization in pro-tools, learning how to dj/mix live in Traktor, and I'm currently playing around with Ableton.

I think if you're serious about it, spend a year learning one program, then move onto the next - that way you can create any sound you want. Just keep making songs, even if they are shit, you'll slowly find yourself learning new tricks and getting much better. As with any instrument, be it analog or digital, practice makes perfect. Don't spend all your time reading the manual, just experiment.

and if the preset synths sound like crap, just start twiddling knobs/effects until it sounds dope.

and that's my two cents.
Logged

lukas.
Elite Member


member is offline






PM


Posts: 2123
Re: Making Electronic Music
« Reply #64 on: Jan 19th, 2008, 6:35pm »

im thinking of getting into DJing and buying a pair of CDJs. i found a pretty cheap price for a pioneer cmx 3000 for 600 canadian dollars. the cmx 3000 is pretty much a rack mount version of the cdj 1000 plus a little more. are rackmounts a no no?
Logged

NightRumour.com
TYLER
Elite Member


member is offline



Just another kid on the beat, yeah.


PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 2785
Re: Making Electronic Music
« Reply #65 on: Jan 19th, 2008, 10:01pm »

on Jan 18th, 2008, 3:34pm, cydux wrote:
This is how it's gone for me: learned composition/mixing in Garageband for about three years (and I still use it all the time), stepped it up with Reason - learned to make my own synth and drum loops with Maelstrom, Subtractor, and redrum, learned how to cut samples and the importance of equalization in pro-tools, learning how to dj/mix live in Traktor, and I'm currently playing around with Ableton.

I think if you're serious about it, spend a year learning one program, then move onto the next - that way you can create any sound you want. Just keep making songs, even if they are shit, you'll slowly find yourself learning new tricks and getting much better. As with any instrument, be it analog or digital, practice makes perfect. Don't spend all your time reading the manual, just experiment.

and if the preset synths sound like crap, just start twiddling knobs/effects until it sounds dope.

and that's my two cents.


not only do i agree with this approach, i believe in it. you come out with the ability to have originality and uninfluenced creativity. there are obvious downfalls and it can be frustrating but perseverance is key!
Logged

ask beavis i get nothin' but head
Smiley Perv
Global Moderator


member is offline



Ban Count: 21

AIM
Homepage PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 1586
Re: Making Electronic Music
« Reply #66 on: Jan 20th, 2008, 6:26pm »

For a begginer Dance Producer, I'm looking to buy either ProTools or Reason. I'm gonna have the money for a G5 Mac and then some after income tax so the only thing undecided is just that. Reason or ProTools?

If you're wondering, I'm trying to record live guitars and bass along with the electronic/dance sound. Some advice?
Logged

MTHRFCKN Moderator "There are no rules to art" - Angie
dmargaret
Junior Member


member is offline



myspace/davids0401


Homepage PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 287
Re: Making Electronic Music
« Reply #67 on: Jan 20th, 2008, 7:51pm »

Uhhh...torrents...not that I do that, it's illegal...but say that a friend of mine was going to do bad stuff and try to get some Native Instruments stuff...any advice as to where to go for that? i tried to talk him out of it, oh lord how i tried.
Logged

slinky
Global Moderator


member is offline



...but I ain't jamaican man


PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 3623
Re: Making Electronic Music
« Reply #68 on: Jan 20th, 2008, 8:02pm »

on Jan 20th, 2008, 7:51pm, dmargaret wrote:
Uhhh...torrents...not that I do that, it's illegal...but say that a friend of mine was going to do bad stuff and try to get some Native Instruments stuff...any advice as to where to go for that? i tried to talk him out of it, oh lord how i tried.


did he check what.cd?
Logged

Taylor
Elite Member


member is offline



i always wondered what this text box was for...


PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 3203
Re: Making Electronic Music
« Reply #69 on: Jan 20th, 2008, 10:10pm »

on Jan 20th, 2008, 6:26pm, R2RO wrote:
For a begginer Dance Producer, I'm looking to buy either ProTools or Reason. I'm gonna have the money for a G5 Mac and then some after income tax so the only thing undecided is just that. Reason or ProTools?

If you're wondering, I'm trying to record live guitars and bass along with the electronic/dance sound. Some advice?


you cant record in reason, just a heads up, get pro tools, also, pirated software for mac is harder to find imo, or maybe i just suck at setting it up since im new to macs
Logged

Smiley Perv
Global Moderator


member is offline



Ban Count: 21

AIM
Homepage PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 1586
Re: Making Electronic Music
« Reply #70 on: Jan 21st, 2008, 6:42pm »

on Jan 20th, 2008, 10:10pm, Taylor wrote:
you cant record in reason, just a heads up, get pro tools, also, pirated software for mac is harder to find imo, or maybe i just suck at setting it up since im new to macs


I'm gravitating towards ProTools right now. It seems to be top-of-the-line right now and there's all this hype about it. But I've never used it and I'll just have to trust it's worth the $449.99 price tag.

BTW, I have used Steinberg Cubase. Is it anything close to that? If anyone has used them both.
Logged

MTHRFCKN Moderator "There are no rules to art" - Angie
Taylor
Elite Member


member is offline



i always wondered what this text box was for...


PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 3203
Re: Making Electronic Music
« Reply #71 on: Jan 21st, 2008, 8:54pm »

on Jan 21st, 2008, 6:42pm, R2RO wrote:
I'm gravitating towards ProTools right now. It seems to be top-of-the-line right now and there's all this hype about it. But I've never used it and I'll just have to trust it's worth the $449.99 price tag.

BTW, I have used Steinberg Cubase. Is it anything close to that? If anyone has used them both.


pro tools blows cubase out of the water and has intercourse with its mom, and ive only used pro tools like 5 times
Logged

davidwolf
Guest
Re: Making Electronic Music
« Reply #72 on: Jan 21st, 2008, 9:06pm »

nothing wrong with cubase. use whatever you like to use.
Logged

Taylor
Elite Member


member is offline



i always wondered what this text box was for...


PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 3203
Re: Making Electronic Music
« Reply #73 on: Jan 22nd, 2008, 4:37pm »

on Jan 21st, 2008, 9:06pm, davidwolf wrote:
nothing wrong with cubase. use whatever you like to use.


davids right though, youll do better if youre in your comfort zone, so if you feel difficulty doing shit in one daw, revert to what youre more comfortable with

its like saying those 200 dollar nikes will make you run faster, to some extent they will but odds are youll probably run faster in shoes youre comfortable in, be it the 200 dollar nikes or the 10 dollar wal mart shoes
Logged

davidwolf
Guest
Re: Making Electronic Music
« Reply #74 on: Jan 22nd, 2008, 9:40pm »

it also depends what sound you're going for.
you can totally match up electronic acts with what they are using.
daft punk is really clean and produced sounding, they use logic
mstrkrft is also clean and produced but a little more live and raw sounding, they use protools
crystal castles is very lo-fi sounding, they use cubase
etc etc
Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7  ...  165
« Previous Topic | Next Topic »

Monthly Ad-Free Plan!

$6.99 Gets 50,000 Ad-Free Pageviews!

This Board Hosted For FREE By SuddenLaunch
Get Your Own Free Message Board!