MSTRKRFT
Making Electronic Music

Welcome Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 25th, 2017, 11:18pm




MSTRKRFT
General
GENERAL (Moderator: lgrweb)
  Making Electronic Music
« Previous Topic | Next Topic »
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 62 63 64  ...  165
   Author  Topic: Making Electronic Music  (Read 211676 times)
MERCURIUSFM
Elite Member


member is offline



Better to die of thirst than drink from the cup of mediocrity.

AIM
Homepage PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 1669
Re: Making Electronic Music
« Reply #915 on: Dec 24th, 2008, 6:43pm »

on Dec 24th, 2008, 04:38am, chucky wrote:
Is the Alesis 3630 too good to be true? A hardware compressor that can be bought for around $100 on eBay that is used by big names such as Daft Punk and Boys Noize? I don't understand


big money isnt always the most important thing
Logged

Ur only as strong as ur kick drum.
http://twitter.com/mercuriusfm
http://facebook.com/mercuriusfm
http://myspace.com/mercuriusmusic
http://myspace.com/chunkychickstrax
chucky
New Member


member is offline






PM


Posts: 17
Re: Making Electronic Music
« Reply #916 on: Dec 24th, 2008, 8:36pm »

That's good too here because I was under the impression that in most cases it is. coming from a guitar background where every god damn thing seems to expensive I think I might check out this compressor and buy it!
Logged

Kyran
Elite Member


member is offline



I'm actually a team of midgets who take turns post whoring in shifts.


PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 1982
Re: Making Electronic Music
« Reply #917 on: Dec 24th, 2008, 8:36pm »

on Dec 22nd, 2008, 10:34pm, robert wrote:
Seriously, ask me any possible question about music/music theory/music form/music anything you can think of.
...
Oh, and those sidebands in the second verse, that's a result of frequency modulation.

Srsly? A music major? now when you say any music theory do you actually mean any music theory? Anything interesting you understand? Florid Counterpoint? Polyrhythms? Jazz reharmonizations? Not necessarily common in dance music but it's possible.

Ps in case anyone doesn't understand the Bounce synth thing there's basically an LFO on the pitch of the synth which increases its depth as the note progresses. The actual pitch of the synth is going down, but near the end the depth of the pitch modulation is increasing faster than the root note of the synth so the peak of the LFO is going up. If you look at it like the sound bouncing (lol) in between two pitches, the low one gets lower and the higher one gets higher.
Logged

Batman uses samples.

on Mar 13th, 2009, 05:06am, TYLER wrote:
EDIT: I JUST REALIZED THIS ISN'T THE WHERE I GO ON MUSHROOMS THREAD.
robert
New Member


member is offline



greetings


Email PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 28
Re: Making Electronic Music
« Reply #918 on: Dec 24th, 2008, 8:48pm »

on Dec 24th, 2008, 8:36pm, Kyran wrote:
Srsly? A music major? now when you say any music theory do you actually mean any music theory? Anything interesting you understand? Florid Counterpoint? Polyrhythms? Jazz reharmonizations? Not necessarily common in dance music but it's possible.

Ps in case anyone doesn't understand the Bounce synth thing there's basically an LFO on the pitch of the synth which increases its depth as the note progresses. The actual pitch of the synth is going down, but near the end the depth of the pitch modulation is increasing faster than the root note of the synth so the peak of the LFO is going up. If you look at it like the sound bouncing (lol) in between two pitches, the low one gets lower and the higher one gets higher.

well I don't want to sound like an ass or anything, but uh, yeah lol. pretty much anything about music theory that you could think of, or florid counterpoint. they call that 5th species counterpoint while we learn it, cuz there's species 1-5. i haven't heard a ton of dance music though and since i've joined i've been downloading tons, so that's been cool. i typed up so much about bounce cuz i was worried that there were tons of people floating around who just plugged the presets into programs like ableton and stuff and spat out all this music without knowing a lot about what's actually going on when you push all those buttons. but i was really wrong about that, it's cool to see that some other people are going further than that.
Logged

Kyran
Elite Member


member is offline



I'm actually a team of midgets who take turns post whoring in shifts.


PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 1982
Re: Making Electronic Music
« Reply #919 on: Dec 24th, 2008, 9:06pm »

You have passed the test...
Haha it's wicked to have someone understand some music shit though The only person I've ever been able to talk to about shit like that was my high school music teacher. He was all about the organ and shit but he'd always get baffled by random things like improvising during guitar jams.
Logged

Batman uses samples.

on Mar 13th, 2009, 05:06am, TYLER wrote:
EDIT: I JUST REALIZED THIS ISN'T THE WHERE I GO ON MUSHROOMS THREAD.
Taylor
Elite Member


member is offline



i always wondered what this text box was for...


PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 3203
Re: Making Electronic Music
« Reply #920 on: Dec 24th, 2008, 9:44pm »

funny how dance is one of the simplest forms of music but programming it is a bitch

my guess is its just fuckin hard to artificially create its primative appeal
Logged

robert
New Member


member is offline



greetings


Email PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 28
Re: Making Electronic Music
« Reply #921 on: Dec 24th, 2008, 10:31pm »

So the past hour I built this "vst" instrument from scratch in notepad, it doesn't really sound like anything. but i saw jesse and al-p in new orleans this past fall, and besides the fact that i was wanked out on acid and i can't really remember much of it, they kept doing stuff like this right before they would blast into a super high energy beat.
well, besides the bass tone that's oscillating between speakers, i don't think i remember them making a big deal about phasing between speakers.

it's only 20 seconds long and three notes- one for each sound.

http://www.zshare.net/audio/53240499ac298350/

i guess it's cool effect. probably something i would do with a midi controller if i had one lol
Logged

Taylor
Elite Member


member is offline



i always wondered what this text box was for...


PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 3203
Re: Making Electronic Music
« Reply #922 on: Dec 25th, 2008, 04:40am »

deadmau5 uses phase inversion on his kicks i think

i know for a fact thats how xxxchange got the buzz lead in control
Logged

Taylor
Elite Member


member is offline



i always wondered what this text box was for...


PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 3203
Re: Making Electronic Music
« Reply #923 on: Dec 25th, 2008, 10:45am »

http://rapidshare.com/files/176714427/scratchlive_controldisk.zip.html

ripped to aiff for you guys
Logged

Todd
Full Member


member is offline





AIM
Homepage Email PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 756
Re: Making Electronic Music
« Reply #924 on: Dec 25th, 2008, 11:49am »

on Dec 24th, 2008, 8:48pm, robert wrote:
well I don't want to sound like an ass or anything, but uh, yeah lol. pretty much anything about music theory that you could think of, or florid counterpoint. they call that 5th species counterpoint while we learn it, cuz there's species 1-5. i haven't heard a ton of dance music though and since i've joined i've been downloading tons, so that's been cool. i typed up so much about bounce cuz i was worried that there were tons of people floating around who just plugged the presets into programs like ableton and stuff and spat out all this music without knowing a lot about what's actually going on when you push all those buttons. but i was really wrong about that, it's cool to see that some other people are going further than that.


You will quickly find that not many people in dance music care about music theory. Music academia kills your creativity and puts you in a box that isn't even big enough to put a cat in. After breathing nothing but music theory for three years straight, if I could forget all of it I would.

Anything beyond the circle of fifths is dead to me. I wish I could unlearn it.
Logged

all i wanted was a pepsi, just one pepsi
Kyran
Elite Member


member is offline



I'm actually a team of midgets who take turns post whoring in shifts.


PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 1982
Re: Making Electronic Music
« Reply #925 on: Dec 25th, 2008, 11:53am »

I don't think that makes sense at all. Learning more about music could never restrict you. It's your mind that's putting you in a box, not more knowledge. If you know how to use that information to create different and interesting music, then there's no limit.
Logged

Batman uses samples.

on Mar 13th, 2009, 05:06am, TYLER wrote:
EDIT: I JUST REALIZED THIS ISN'T THE WHERE I GO ON MUSHROOMS THREAD.
robert
New Member


member is offline



greetings


Email PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 28
Re: Making Electronic Music
« Reply #926 on: Dec 25th, 2008, 1:23pm »

on Dec 25th, 2008, 11:49am, Todd wrote:
You will quickly find that not many people in dance music care about music theory. Music academia kills your creativity and puts you in a box that isn't even big enough to put a cat in. After breathing nothing but music theory for three years straight, if I could forget all of it I would.

Anything beyond the circle of fifths is dead to me. I wish I could unlearn it.

whatever works for you, todd.
Logged

Taylor
Elite Member


member is offline



i always wondered what this text box was for...


PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 3203
Re: Making Electronic Music
« Reply #927 on: Dec 25th, 2008, 1:24pm »

alle benassi said in an interview "learn as much as you can about music, then forget it all"
Logged

robert
New Member


member is offline



greetings


Email PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 28
Re: Making Electronic Music
« Reply #928 on: Dec 25th, 2008, 1:25pm »

on Dec 25th, 2008, 04:40am, Taylor wrote:
deadmau5 uses phase inversion on his kicks i think

i know for a fact thats how xxxchange got the buzz lead in control

what do you mean by buzz lead? is that like some extra noise or something that he didn't want, and he got it under control?
Logged

lukas.
Elite Member


member is offline






PM


Posts: 2123
Re: Making Electronic Music
« Reply #929 on: Dec 25th, 2008, 5:56pm »

on Dec 25th, 2008, 11:49am, Todd wrote:
You will quickly find that not many people in dance music care about music theory. Music academia kills your creativity and puts you in a box that isn't even big enough to put a cat in. After breathing nothing but music theory for three years straight, if I could forget all of it I would.

Anything beyond the circle of fifths is dead to me. I wish I could unlearn it.


im trying to learn more and more about music theory. how much is too much would you say?
Logged

NightRumour.com
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 62 63 64  ...  165
« Previous Topic | Next Topic »

Monthly Ad-Free Plan!

$6.99 Gets 50,000 Ad-Free Pageviews!

This Board Hosted For FREE By SuddenLaunch
Get Your Own Free Message Board!