MSTRKRFT
« Questions for Felix »

Welcome Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 25th, 2017, 03:31am




MSTRKRFT
General
FELIX CARTAL (Moderator: lgrweb)
  Questions for Felix
« Previous Topic | Next Topic »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13  ...  29
   Author  Topic: Questions for Felix  (Read 12051 times)
Heraclys
Junior Member


member is offline






Email PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 322
Re: Questions for Felix
« Reply #150 on: Mar 26th, 2009, 2:39pm »

Hi Felix,

Do you ever feel like you need another synth than Malström?
How about drum samples, do you use the standard drums that come with Reason?

I used reason before and being restricted to just a few synths made me choose for ableton with vst's.

I love your music, keep up the good work!
Logged

Biff
Junior Member


member is offline





AIM
Homepage Email PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 169
Re: Questions for Felix
« Reply #151 on: Mar 30th, 2009, 11:38pm »

How do you perform your sets win Ableton?, do you have everything you're going to play there in session view in order all ready, or do you just like give yourself a pallette and mix them in whatever order on the fly?, I'm curious how using Ableton for mixing works?
Logged

http://www.myspace.com/biffmusique
^just me

http://www.myspace.com/lostrhinomusic
^me + eldoogle
danielgregory
New Member


member is offline






Email PM


Posts: 1
Re: Questions for Felix
« Reply #152 on: Mar 31st, 2009, 06:07am »

Hey just a question about using the UC-33 in your set.

what do you have assigned to most of the knobs/sliders? are they assigned to effects or samples or what?

thanks
Logged

ladolcevita
New Member


member is offline






Homepage Email PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 37
Re: Questions for Felix
« Reply #153 on: Apr 1st, 2009, 06:27am »

have you checked out the ableton/akai apc40? that thing looks insane, it might have to replace the uc-33e
Logged

Wolfeh
New Member


member is offline






PM


Posts: 8
Re: Questions for Felix
« Reply #154 on: Apr 1st, 2009, 3:35pm »

Couple questions...

What do you think are the essential things a noob should familiarize themselves with when getting started with producing music?

What effects would you say are your favorites?

What would be your overall advice to someone just beginning in producing music? And where would you point them to get a jump start in it?

Thanks. :D
Logged

Felix
Junior Member


member is offline






Homepage PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 187
Re: Questions for Felix
« Reply #155 on: Apr 1st, 2009, 8:09pm »

on Apr 1st, 2009, 3:35pm, Wolfeh wrote:
Couple questions...

What do you think are the essential things a noob should familiarize themselves with when getting started with producing music?

What effects would you say are your favorites?

What would be your overall advice to someone just beginning in producing music? And where would you point them to get a jump start in it?

Thanks.


For producing dance music, i think it's essential that it makes you bob your head, so many people send me things that have a 4/4 bassdrum behind it and now they think it's a dance track. It's essential the bass/kick really pulse and breathe together.

for effects, i'm really big into reverb, because it brightens everything, fills space, but also can be used an effect to bring in new rhythmic ideas.

Remixing is a good way to start, because you can break a track down and see how it's all put together. If you can get your hands on some stems it's super beneficial to learn everything that goes into something. It's sort of like, if you wanted to learn how a computer is built, it would be beneficial to take it apart yourself, rather than just be given thousands of parts and go "now i'm going to build a computer".

hope this helps

FC
Logged

http://felixcartal.com/
Thomas Cole
Junior Member


member is offline





AIM
Email PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 234
Re: Questions for Felix
« Reply #156 on: Apr 2nd, 2009, 4:00pm »

Which Reason reverb unit do you use?
Logged

soulfrost
Guest
Re: Questions for Felix
« Reply #157 on: Apr 2nd, 2009, 8:03pm »

on Apr 2nd, 2009, 4:00pm, TCOLE wrote:
Which Reason reverb unit do you use?


Most likely both since theres only 2....

RV-7 is very simple...

I'll bet money that he uses RV7000... actually didn't he do some indepth break down for one of his recent remixes on felixcartal.com? There will be your answer. Seriously, it doesn't matter.
Logged

Thomas Cole
Junior Member


member is offline





AIM
Email PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 234
Re: Questions for Felix
« Reply #158 on: Apr 3rd, 2009, 1:24pm »

on Apr 2nd, 2009, 8:03pm, soulfrost wrote:
Most likely both since theres only 2....

RV-7 is very simple...

I'll bet money that he uses RV7000... actually didn't he do some indepth break down for one of his recent remixes on felixcartal.com? There will be your answer. Seriously, it doesn't matter.


I was reading that over again, that's why I was curious. Just a curious question.
Logged

Felix
Junior Member


member is offline






Homepage PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 187
Re: Questions for Felix
« Reply #159 on: Apr 5th, 2009, 07:41am »

on Apr 3rd, 2009, 1:24pm, TCOLE wrote:
I was reading that over again, that's why I was curious. Just a curious question.


always the RV-7000 since it can create everything the R-7 does anyway (and then some)

FC
Logged

http://felixcartal.com/
Felix
Junior Member


member is offline






Homepage PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 187
Re: Questions for Felix
« Reply #160 on: Apr 5th, 2009, 07:46am »

on Mar 26th, 2009, 2:39pm, Heraclys wrote:
Hi Felix,

Do you ever feel like you need another synth than Malström?
How about drum samples, do you use the standard drums that come with Reason?

I used reason before and being restricted to just a few synths made me choose for ableton with vst's.

I love your music, keep up the good work!


I think i like the malstrom because it really has given me the chance to create my own synths from scratch and learn all the parameters that are available. If you go to town with your automation, you can make it do whatever you want, making it feel as unnatural or as natural as you want it to.

as for drums, i've accumulated samples from friends, lifting of other tracks and sample libraries over time. i use lots of live kits now, but also have all the basics (808's, 909's, etc)

FC
Logged

http://felixcartal.com/
matz8916
Junior Member


member is offline






Email PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 287
Re: Questions for Felix
« Reply #161 on: Apr 7th, 2009, 2:29pm »

Hey Felix quick question, are you excited bout coming to Montreal on Saturday? O and are you gonna play Montreal Dreams?

Hehe anyways see you Saturday man hope you kill it!
Logged

HAMMERHEAD
New Member


member is offline



abc

AIM
Email PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 29
Re: Questions for Felix
« Reply #162 on: Apr 9th, 2009, 11:51am »

heyy so felix your myspace shows you playing coachella the 19th? the website doesn't have you on the lineup...are you gonna be in the dome or whats up?
Logged

Felix
Junior Member


member is offline






Homepage PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 187
Re: Questions for Felix
« Reply #163 on: Apr 10th, 2009, 03:53am »

on Apr 7th, 2009, 2:29pm, matz8916 wrote:
Hey Felix quick question, are you excited bout coming to Montreal on Saturday? O and are you gonna play Montreal Dreams?

Hehe anyways see you Saturday man hope you kill it!


i'm stoked i love montreal, and of course i'll drop it

FC
Logged

http://felixcartal.com/
Felix
Junior Member


member is offline






Homepage PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 187
Re: Questions for Felix
« Reply #164 on: Apr 10th, 2009, 03:54am »

on Apr 9th, 2009, 11:51am, HAMMERHEAD wrote:
heyy so felix your myspace shows you playing coachella the 19th? the website doesn't have you on the lineup...are you gonna be in the dome or whats up?


yeah in the dome at 9pm, late addition so I guess they don't put the dome people on the poster

FC
Logged

http://felixcartal.com/
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13  ...  29
« Previous Topic | Next Topic »

Monthly Ad-Free Plan!

$6.99 Gets 50,000 Ad-Free Pageviews!

This Board Hosted For FREE By SuddenLaunch
Get Your Own Free Message Board!