MSTRKRFT
« Questions for Felix »

Welcome Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 25th, 2017, 03:31am




MSTRKRFT
General
FELIX CARTAL (Moderator: lgrweb)
  Questions for Felix
« Previous Topic | Next Topic »
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17  ...  29
   Author  Topic: Questions for Felix  (Read 12052 times)
lazrwolf
New Member


member is offline






PM


Posts: 3
Re: Questions for Felix
« Reply #210 on: May 11th, 2009, 11:49pm »

Hey, Felix, how goes it? I've been a fan of your tracks ever since I first heard "L'amour."


I'm wondering what your journey has been to become a talented producer. Are you skills self-taught, through experimentation? Did you have a mentor? What resources did you use to learn the ropes? What steps did you take to learn how to produce and achieve the sounds that you want?

I think an account of this sort would be extremely informative and inspirational for aspiring producers.
Logged

Heraclys
Junior Member


member is offline






Email PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 322
Re: Questions for Felix
« Reply #211 on: May 12th, 2009, 5:13pm »

Hi Felix,

How much of the stuff you make gets thrown away and how much do you use (or put aside to let it "rest")?
« Last Edit: May 12th, 2009, 5:14pm by Heraclys » Logged

breezy
New Member


member is offline






PM


Posts: 22
Re: Questions for Felix
« Reply #212 on: May 15th, 2009, 1:20pm »

Felix, your show in calgary was insane. I was so impressed by the variety in your set (ie zoo brazil, das glow). Your set ended kinda early though I thought (1:30 ish?). Did something happen or do you normally play for about an hour or so?
Logged

Jamie
New Member


member is offline






PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 46
Re: Questions for Felix
« Reply #213 on: May 16th, 2009, 2:34pm »

yo, on your fmtm remix, you said you used "a nice wooshy sample" for the buildups. where are you getting those samples? i've looked around and can't find anything i like. is it from a sample pack? then, do you just stretch it to the length you want? thanks.
Logged

Felix
Junior Member


member is offline






Homepage PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 187
Re: Questions for Felix
« Reply #214 on: May 16th, 2009, 4:38pm »

on May 11th, 2009, 5:09pm, Jules. wrote:
Yo Felix, its julian from twitter lol
I would like to know if it's possible for me to get a DIM MAK sticker.. the ones you put on your laptop..

Thanks. 2 days lefttt


there are definitely no stickers on my laptop hahaha

I actually don't have any of those man, sorry

FC
Logged

http://felixcartal.com/
Felix
Junior Member


member is offline






Homepage PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 187
Re: Questions for Felix
« Reply #215 on: May 16th, 2009, 4:48pm »

on May 11th, 2009, 11:49pm, lazrwolf wrote:
Hey, Felix, how goes it? I've been a fan of your tracks ever since I first heard "L'amour."


I'm wondering what your journey has been to become a talented producer. Are you skills self-taught, through experimentation? Did you have a mentor? What resources did you use to learn the ropes? What steps did you take to learn how to produce and achieve the sounds that you want?

I think an account of this sort would be extremely informative and inspirational for aspiring producers.


I'd say most of my skills have been self-taught yes. I've been using reason for about 5years now and have really started to know the program like the back of my hand, although I can't take all the credit. I was fortunate enough to have a class in highschool called music composition where we learned Cubase/Reason, and how to record and write digital music. I guess my highschool was a bit ahead of the curve because a few of my teachers were really keen about sharing this world of production with its students.

A few of my teachers were pretty educated in the recording studio, and I would always hop in there with them during lunchtime, or skip class to practice on a full sized mixing board when I had the chance. I was in a few bands as well in highschool, and took it on myself to help produce and edit a lot of the songs we recorded, alongside my teachers and other bandmates.

As for transitioning to dance music, it wasn't completely intentional, but I was inspired by some of the heavier stuff coming out. Some of my earlier music really doesn't follow typical dance structures, and I think this was more me being an amateur and not knowing what I was doing rather than 'really forward thinking'.

hopefully this sort of answered your question haha

FC
Logged

http://felixcartal.com/
Felix
Junior Member


member is offline






Homepage PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 187
Re: Questions for Felix
« Reply #216 on: May 16th, 2009, 4:50pm »

on May 12th, 2009, 5:13pm, Heraclys wrote:
Hi Felix,

How much of the stuff you make gets thrown away and how much do you use (or put aside to let it "rest")?


Well I just went through my folder for the last 3 years of writing stuff, and there are 350 project files. So mostly everything gets thrown away.

FC
Logged

http://felixcartal.com/
Felix
Junior Member


member is offline






Homepage PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 187
Re: Questions for Felix
« Reply #217 on: May 16th, 2009, 4:51pm »

on May 15th, 2009, 1:20pm, breezy wrote:
Felix, your show in calgary was insane. I was so impressed by the variety in your set (ie zoo brazil, das glow). Your set ended kinda early though I thought (1:30 ish?). Did something happen or do you normally play for about an hour or so?


I went on at 12 and finished at 130, i usually do 90mins so no nothing happened, it was normal.

FC
Logged

http://felixcartal.com/
Felix
Junior Member


member is offline






Homepage PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 187
Re: Questions for Felix
« Reply #218 on: May 16th, 2009, 4:52pm »

on May 16th, 2009, 2:34pm, Jamie wrote:
yo, on your fmtm remix, you said you used "a nice wooshy sample" for the buildups. where are you getting those samples? i've looked around and can't find anything i like. is it from a sample pack? then, do you just stretch it to the length you want? thanks.


Just acquired from other friends who are producers- we share samples all the time! But yeah, i do stretch it to the size I want.

FC
Logged

http://felixcartal.com/
Jamie
New Member


member is offline






PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 46
Re: Questions for Felix
« Reply #219 on: May 16th, 2009, 5:08pm »

on May 16th, 2009, 4:52pm, Felix wrote:
Just acquired from other friends who are producers- we share samples all the time! But yeah, i do stretch it to the size I want.

FC

thanks dude. also, what did you use cut up the“This Machine Don’t Give A Shit” sample? i was wondering if you did it in reason or if you use something else for cutting up samples, like recycle or ableton? thanks again.
Logged

Jules
Senior Member


member is offline



montr3al


Homepage Email PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 1349
Re: Questions for Felix
« Reply #220 on: May 16th, 2009, 7:21pm »

on May 16th, 2009, 4:38pm, Felix wrote:
there are definitely no stickers on my laptop hahaha

I actually don't have any of those man, sorry

FC


haha, alright man, its all good. but if you do have some one day, i want one hehe, thanks for answering!
Logged

http://www.el3ctronight.net/

@JulianCilib
Thomas Cole
Junior Member


member is offline





AIM
Email PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 234
Re: Questions for Felix
« Reply #221 on: May 19th, 2009, 7:12pm »

on May 16th, 2009, 5:08pm, Jamie wrote:
thanks dude. also, what did you use cut up the“This Machine Don’t Give A Shit” sample? i was wondering if you did it in reason or if you use something else for cutting up samples, like recycle or ableton? thanks again.


He used the NNXT sampler which will adjust the length/speed of the sample depending on what note you play it at.
Logged

Jamie
New Member


member is offline






PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 46
Re: Questions for Felix
« Reply #222 on: May 19th, 2009, 11:55pm »

on May 19th, 2009, 7:12pm, TCOLE wrote:
He used the NNXT sampler which will adjust the length/speed of the sample depending on what note you play it at.


i know he used the nnxt sampler, it says so on his website. some people use another plug in or program to "clean the samples up" or whatever before they put the samples into the sampler. maybe he did do it all in the nnxt sampler, that is my question.
Logged

Felix
Junior Member


member is offline






Homepage PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 187
Re: Questions for Felix
« Reply #223 on: May 25th, 2009, 6:12pm »

on May 16th, 2009, 5:08pm, Jamie wrote:
thanks dude. also, what did you use cut up the“This Machine Don’t Give A Shit” sample? i was wondering if you did it in reason or if you use something else for cutting up samples, like recycle or ableton? thanks again.


I chopped it up in Protools, but any audio sampling program will work, it's super easy to do.

FC
Logged

http://felixcartal.com/
geffin
Senior Member


member is offline



officious seeing eye bitch


PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 1424
Re: Questions for Felix
« Reply #224 on: May 26th, 2009, 5:52pm »

bird peterson remix is straight fire. are u pleased with what he did with it?
Logged

theres nothing i hate more than fucking .m3u files

http://aminalsblog.blogspot.com
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17  ...  29
« Previous Topic | Next Topic »

Monthly Ad-Free Plan!

$6.99 Gets 50,000 Ad-Free Pageviews!

This Board Hosted For FREE By SuddenLaunch
Get Your Own Free Message Board!