MSTRKRFT
Questions for Felix

Welcome Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 25th, 2017, 03:40am




MSTRKRFT
General
FELIX CARTAL (Moderator: lgrweb)
  Questions for Felix
« Previous Topic | Next Topic »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18  ...  29
   Author  Topic: Questions for Felix  (Read 12068 times)
cacophony
Junior Member


member is offline






Email PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 196
Re: Questions for Felix
« Reply #225 on: May 27th, 2009, 10:10am »

on May 16th, 2009, 4:48pm, Felix wrote:
I'd say most of my skills have been self-taught yes. I've been using reason for about 5years now and have really started to know the program like the back of my hand, although I can't take all the credit. I was fortunate enough to have a class in highschool called music composition where we learned Cubase/Reason, and how to record and write digital music. I guess my highschool was a bit ahead of the curve because a few of my teachers were really keen about sharing this world of production with its students.

A few of my teachers were pretty educated in the recording studio, and I would always hop in there with them during lunchtime, or skip class to practice on a full sized mixing board when I had the chance. I was in a few bands as well in highschool, and took it on myself to help produce and edit a lot of the songs we recorded, alongside my teachers and other bandmates.

As for transitioning to dance music, it wasn't completely intentional, but I was inspired by some of the heavier stuff coming out. Some of my earlier music really doesn't follow typical dance structures, and I think this was more me being an amateur and not knowing what I was doing rather than 'really forward thinking'.

hopefully this sort of answered your question haha

FC


You know, i heard that happened in your school a while back on your site. I'm actually volunteering at lunch times at my old school to teach electronic music production to students there.

Was there many people even interested at the school you went to? even at a large audio engineering school that i went to, there was 6 students per class, in the class im teaching its only 3.

on another note, do you ever want to try another sequencer, say live or pro tools? I notice you automate all you songs in reason etc and im amazed, 5minutes with the reason sequencer and i feel like sticking my dick into a car door and slamming it would be more fun..


Logged

housejunkie
Full Member


member is offline






PM

Gender: Female
Posts: 678
Re: Questions for Felix
« Reply #226 on: Jun 2nd, 2009, 4:19pm »

Hi, Felix! I love your music, u always get me dancing

Where would you say is your favorite place to just kick back, chill, and relax?

Where would you say is your favorite place to party?
Logged

Katherine
Guest
Re: Questions for Felix
« Reply #227 on: Jun 8th, 2009, 11:11am »

Your track drugs... was it inspired by any particular drug or is it simply a track name?

Logged

JimmyOnline
New Member


member is offline






PM


Posts: 5
Re: Questions for Felix
« Reply #228 on: Jun 17th, 2009, 12:55pm »

Hi Felix!
A question from Holland. I love the heavy synths you use, especially the one from L'Amour. I think this is a Malstrom also? I use Reason 4 and there I have the Malstrom 1, what is the difference with Malstrom 2 which you use? And where can I get this? Tnx very much for you blog on you website about how you made the track Montreal Dreams! What exactly is the (Dave - Mono) patch? Can you also post some screenshots of your synths on L'Amour maybe? Not that I want to copy your stuff in any way, I'm just curious about how you find the right sound for you .
And thumbs up for answering so many questions, it's so much fun to see that you're totaly open to any questions about producing, TNX!
Logged

Boris
Junior Member


member is offline






Homepage Email PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 139
Re: Questions for Felix
« Reply #229 on: Jun 23rd, 2009, 2:57pm »

i don't know if you've posted this video on the board yet, but drone is such a dope track it sounds like.
« Last Edit: Jun 23rd, 2009, 3:02pm by Boris » Logged

Felix
Junior Member


member is offline






Homepage PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 187
Re: Questions for Felix
« Reply #230 on: Jun 23rd, 2009, 4:36pm »

on May 26th, 2009, 5:52pm, gavinmac wrote:
bird peterson remix is straight fire. are u pleased with what he did with it?


Yeah I love it, Bird is an amazing producer, and one of the funniest fucking dudes I've ever met. We're def gonna collab!!! Just you wait!

FC
Logged

http://felixcartal.com/
Felix
Junior Member


member is offline






Homepage PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 187
Re: Questions for Felix
« Reply #231 on: Jun 23rd, 2009, 4:40pm »

on May 27th, 2009, 10:10am, cacophony wrote:
You know, i heard that happened in your school a while back on your site. I'm actually volunteering at lunch times at my old school to teach electronic music production to students there.

Was there many people even interested at the school you went to? even at a large audio engineering school that i went to, there was 6 students per class, in the class im teaching its only 3.

on another note, do you ever want to try another sequencer, say live or pro tools? I notice you automate all you songs in reason etc and im amazed, 5minutes with the reason sequencer and i feel like sticking my dick into a car door and slamming it would be more fun..




Yeah I mean I think the class I taught was a bunch of kids just being thrown in the room to see what it was all about. There were about 120 kids there, but probably just a few that sort of had an interest in dance music. Was still a great experience though, public speaking is very rewarding.

As for other sequencers, I've started to use protools a lot more, especially for my upcoming album, it's been a pretty even distribution between that program and Reason. I've thought about using Logic a bit as well, just for the smoothness on a Mac, but I'm not one to try and learn toooo many things at once. I'd much rather be good at one program than 'OK' at 4.

FC
Logged

http://felixcartal.com/
Felix
Junior Member


member is offline






Homepage PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 187
Re: Questions for Felix
« Reply #232 on: Jun 23rd, 2009, 4:42pm »

on Jun 2nd, 2009, 4:19pm, housejunkie wrote:
Hi, Felix! I love your music, u always get me dancing

Where would you say is your favorite place to just kick back, chill, and relax?

Where would you say is your favorite place to party?


Love kicking back in my hometown Vancouver, especially in the summer. it doesn't get overwhelmingly lot, but we have lots of fun things to do, great sushi and beaches to hang out at.

Partying, I really like Berlin, Montreal and Sydney!

FC
Logged

http://felixcartal.com/
Felix
Junior Member


member is offline






Homepage PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 187
Re: Questions for Felix
« Reply #233 on: Jun 23rd, 2009, 4:42pm »

on Jun 8th, 2009, 11:11am, La Reyna wrote:
Your track drugs... was it inspired by any particular drug or is it simply a track name?



Definitely just a track name.

FC
Logged

http://felixcartal.com/
Felix
Junior Member


member is offline






Homepage PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 187
Re: Questions for Felix
« Reply #234 on: Jun 23rd, 2009, 4:45pm »

on Jun 17th, 2009, 12:55pm, JimmyOnline wrote:
Hi Felix!
A question from Holland. I love the heavy synths you use, especially the one from L'Amour. I think this is a Malstrom also? I use Reason 4 and there I have the Malstrom 1, what is the difference with Malstrom 2 which you use? And where can I get this? Tnx very much for you blog on you website about how you made the track Montreal Dreams! What exactly is the (Dave - Mono) patch? Can you also post some screenshots of your synths on L'Amour maybe? Not that I want to copy your stuff in any way, I'm just curious about how you find the right sound for you .
And thumbs up for answering so many questions, it's so much fun to see that you're totaly open to any questions about producing, TNX!


Malstrom 1 and Malstrom 2 are just two separate Malstroms, not different kind of malstroms. The Dave - Mono patch is just a synth preset i downloaded, but I usuallly end up modifying these, it's just nice to start with a preset sometimes and tweak it to something of your own.

Haha, I'll see about the screenshots about the synths for my next in-depth post, I want to do something with the album tracks and break each one down, but that won't be for a bit!

hope this helps

FC
Logged

http://felixcartal.com/
Felix
Junior Member


member is offline






Homepage PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 187
Re: Questions for Felix
« Reply #235 on: Jun 23rd, 2009, 4:46pm »

on Jun 23rd, 2009, 2:57pm, Boris wrote:
i don't know if you've posted this video on the board yet, but drone is such a dope track it sounds like.


Naw I haven't posted it! feel free to start a thread!!

But glad you like it

FC
Logged

http://felixcartal.com/
Taylor
Elite Member


member is offline



i always wondered what this text box was for...


PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 3203
Re: Questions for Felix
« Reply #236 on: Jun 24th, 2009, 7:02pm »

so...i heard youll be in houston on the fifth of july with bird peterson

you got any sweet hook ups?

hey man, you hook me up and ill bring you cool texas stuff like....uh...how about a cowboy hat?
« Last Edit: Jul 1st, 2009, 09:50am by Taylor » Logged

Pia
New Member


member is offline






PM


Posts: 2
Re: Questions for Felix
« Reply #237 on: Jun 25th, 2009, 7:07pm »

AW Felix I LOVE your music so much
Logged

ThmThmDJ
Junior Member


member is offline






Email PM


Posts: 267
Re: Questions for Felix
« Reply #238 on: Jun 26th, 2009, 09:43am »

Felix we need a 320 of bird petersons remix of skeleton & please release your album sooner thanks =)
Logged

716
JusticeforAll
New Member


member is offline






PM


Posts: 1
Re: Questions for Felix
« Reply #239 on: Jun 28th, 2009, 6:26pm »

Hey Felix

First off I have to say that I couldnt have asked for a better performance when i saw you at iloveneon in april

My question is do you meet and greet fans? My first electro concert was last year. I went to see Justice and there standing infront of me was Busy P, Justice and the whole Ed Banger crew...

Anyways I was too shy to say hello but i figured I would make up for it at mstrkrft....so there i was first in line for about a half hour or so..to my dismay no one came out (except jordan dare but hes always hanging around the metropolis)

anyways your coming to montreal in august and it would be a pleasure to meet you
Logged

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18  ...  29
« Previous Topic | Next Topic »

Monthly Ad-Free Plan!

$6.99 Gets 50,000 Ad-Free Pageviews!

This Board Hosted For FREE By SuddenLaunch
Get Your Own Free Message Board!